Current:Home > ScamsBurley Garcia|Father of slain 6-year-old Palestinian American boy files wrongful death lawsuit -Capitatum
Burley Garcia|Father of slain 6-year-old Palestinian American boy files wrongful death lawsuit
NovaQuant View
Date:2025-04-06 13:49:22
The Burley Garciafather a 6-year-old Palestinian American boy who was fatally stabbed by an Illinois landlord in what authorities have called a hate crime has filed a wrongful death lawsuit, court records show.
Oday Al-Fayoume filed the lawsuit last month against 71-year-old Joseph Czuba, his wife Mary Czuba, and their property management company Discerning Property Management. Joseph Czuba is accused of fatally stabbing Wadea Al-Fayoume and seriously injuring his mother Hanaan Shahin on Oct. 14.
Prior to the attack, Czuba allegedly told his wife that he wanted Shahin and Wadea to move out of the home where they'd lived for two years. He also allegedly said he was afraid Shahin's "Palestinian friends were going to harm them,” according to the lawsuit filed Nov. 21.
The lawsuit claims that Mary Czuba and the management company "were indifferent and failed to recognize a threat and prevent serious bodily harm" to their tenants. A hearing is set for March 11.
"Justice comes in many forms … and there is, obviously, unbelievable loss in Wadea, but his mother also was injured seriously, and we believe that there are avenues to recover compensation for what the family's been through," Ben Crane, Oday Al-Fayoume's lawyer, told the Associated Press.
According to court records, the Czubas do not yet have an attorney in the wrongful death case but Mary Czuba has filed paperwork to divorce Joseph Czuba.
'Feel increasingly vulnerable':Jewish and Muslim organizations denounce attacks against college students
Attack investigated as hate crime
Joseph Czuba pleaded not guilty in court in October. He faces charges of first-degree murder, attempted first-degree murder, aggravated battery with a deadly weapon, and two counts of hate crime after a grand jury indicted him last week.
Czuba remains detained in Will County as he awaits a January hearing in the criminal case.
Authorities allege that Czuba was motivated by his "hatred of Muslims" and targeted the family in response to the Israel-Hamas war.
Will County Sheriff’s Office deputies had found Wadea and Shahin suffering from severe stab wounds at a residence in an unincorporated area of Plainfield Township, about 40 miles southwest of Chicago, on the morning of Oct. 14. Both victims were transported to a hospital where Wadea later died.
Shahin survived the attack and told authorities what led to it. Shahin told authorities that Czuba attacked her and Wadea after he had aggressively confronted her about the conflict in Israel and Gaza.
"He was angry at her for what was going on in Jerusalem," according to court documents obtained by USA TODAY. "She responded to him, 'Let’s pray for peace.' ... Czuba then attacked her with a knife."
The incident drew national attention and condemnation from public officials and advocates. The Justice Department opened a federal hate crimes investigation into the attack, and Attorney General Merrick warned that the attack would renew fears among Muslim, Arab, and Palestinian communities.
Warning on war's fallout:'Violent extremists targeting Jewish or Muslim communities'
Contributing: Cybele Mayes-Osterman, USA TODAY; The Associated Press
veryGood! (96911)
Related
- Friday the 13th luck? 13 past Mega Millions jackpot wins in December. See top 10 lottery prizes
- 3 Sherpa climbers missing on Mount Everest after falling into crevasse
- You Better Believe Cher and Boyfriend Alexander Edwards Are Detailing Their Date Nights
- Below Deck's Tyler Walker Shares Difficult Experience of Finally Coming Out to His Parents
- Retirement planning: 3 crucial moves everyone should make before 2025
- Megan Thee Stallion Makes Rare Red Carpet Appearance Nearly 3 Months After Tory Lanez Trial
- We’re Stuck on Austin Butler and Kaia Gerber’s Oscars 2023 After-Party Date Night
- 4 takeaways from the Senate child safety hearing with YouTube, Snapchat and TikTok
- Woman dies after Singapore family of 3 gets into accident in Taiwan
- You'll Be a Sucker for Joe Jonas and Sophie Turner's Matching Goth Looks at Oscars After-Party
Ranking
- What do we know about the mysterious drones reported flying over New Jersey?
- Proof Banshees of Inisherin's Jenny the Donkey Deserves Her Own Oscar
- This Alaskan town is finally getting high-speed internet, thanks to the pandemic
- Ryan Seacrest's Girlfriend Aubrey Paige Proves She's His No. 1 Fan With Oscars Shout-Out
- Meta releases AI model to enhance Metaverse experience
- Oscars 2023: See All the Couples Bringing Movie Magic to the Red Carpet
- Oscars 2023 Red Carpet Fashion: See Every Look as the Stars Arrive
- Keller Rinaudo: How can delivery drones save lives?
Recommendation
Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
Migrant deaths in Mediterranean reach highest level in 6 years
He submitted an AI image to a photography competition and won – then rejected the award
Canadians Are Released After A Chinese Executive Resolves U.S. Criminal Charges
The Daily Money: Spending more on holiday travel?
Facebook asks court to toss FTC lawsuit over its buys of Instagram and WhatsApp
Rare giant otter triplets born at wildlife park
El Salvador Just Became The First Country To Accept Bitcoin As Legal Tender